Michigan State University
School of Journalism Sept. 2011 — Dec. 2015
Bachelor of Arts in Journalism
concentration in public policy reporting
Program Director March 2022 – Sept. 2022
Chesterfield Leisure Services — 47275 Sugarbush Road, New Baltimore MI
This was a seasonal position to plan, direct and facilitate the return of a township summer camp program while managing a team of eight employees. My work focused on obtaining a new site license to capture state funding and rewriting dated program policy to meet LARA standards, reduce liability and better suit a new location. I also maintained a spending account for weekly field trips, equipment and supplies; conducted ordering and inventory, and gained valuable leadership experience.
Features Writer/Crime Reporter Jan. 2018 – March 2021
Traverse City Record Eagle — 120 W. Front St., Traverse City, MI
Planned, sourced, managed and executed several articles each week, while also managing source relationships, police and court schedules and contributing to long-term, data-driven projects. Maintained strong relationships with community officials, locals and colleagues. Conducted research, data collection, records requests and routine fact-checking. Also managed articles/posts on social media pages and handled on-call news as needed.atures beat, including outdoors, entertainment, food and health-themed stories.
Staff Writer/Features Editor Jan. 2016 – Dec. 2017
Ludington Daily News — 202 N. Rath Ave., Ludington, MI
Created content (articles, photographs, infographics) and managed design of a weekly features section. I also covered general news, including an in-depth series on the region’s sand mining operations, court/police news and zoning and agriculture. Photography, page de.sign and generating content ideas were other majors aspects of my role.
Capital News Service — East Lansing
Spring 2015, fall 2015
- Covered a variety of public policy issues, including state management of gray wolves, the barriers state law set against LGBTQ couples seeking to adopt children, Michigan’s poor water regulations, a lack of diversity in the Michigan State Police, the underfunding of MPSERS and the dropping number of Michigan young people pursuing teaching careers.
Lansing City Pulse — Lansing
August 2015 — November 2015
- Covered local government, city revitalization projects and social issues throughout the Lansing area after moving to freelance after completing a summer internship.
Great Lakes Echo — East Lansing
May 2015 — August 2015
- Working as a staff writer, I covered environmental issues throughout the Great Lakes region, including eight states and the province of Ontario.
- Created web-based content and used graphics, video and images to enhance my stories.
- My works here spanned topics like nuclear energy, Great Lake drowning rates, fisheries and the ecological impacts of river obstructions.
Lansing City Pulse — East Lansing
May 2015 — August 2015
- Covered soft and hard news stories, arts and entertainment and city events for both print and online.
- Occasionally helped in editing and proofreading, tailoring stories for website versions, took photographs for both my stories and other features
- Reported on a high-profile court case — Michigan State University v. ESPN — Capitol events and an MSU building development that caused a clash with nearby homeowners.
MORE ABOUT ME
- Proficient with Microsoft Office programs, Adobe Photoshop and InDesign. Experienced in using online tools like NewsEdit Pro, Blox, WordPress and social media platforms
- Working knowledge with Dreamweaver, Lightroom, Illustrator and other Adobe programs
- Having nearly two years of experience in a daily newspaper environment and several in nontraditional newsrooms, I can meet deadlines, pull stories together on short notice and work well under pressure. I bring determination to my work, and strive to be self-sufficient and reliable.
- I have a varied portfolio covering everything from breaking news, crime, environmental issues, municipalities and state government to education, features and columns.
- I have several years of study in Spanish, written and spoken