Michigan State University — East Lansing
School of Journalism
September 2011 — December 2015
- Bachelor of Arts in Journalism, concentration in public affairs reporting
Traverse City Record Eagle — Traverse City
January 2018 — present
- Cover a broad features beat, including outdoors, entertainment, food and health-themed stories.
- Have produced more in-depth, research-driven pieces on the management of chronic wasting disease and Grand Traverse County’s high breast cancer rates.
Ludington Daily News — Ludington
February 2016 — December 2017
- Covered a mix of beats, including state, national and municipal public policy, entertainment, environmental issues, hunting and fishing, planning/zoning and higher education
- Experience covering courts, law enforcement and local schools
- Was responsible for planning and writing a weekly entertainment section and contributed regularly to the paper’s other sections.
- Tackled difficult stories others shied away from, like the complex controversy surrounding the Sargent Sand Mining Co., hunting and fishing regulation changes and a courtroom battle between Nestle Waters and Osceola Township.
Capital News Service — East Lansing
Spring 2015, fall 2015
- Covered a variety of public policy issues, including state management of gray wolves, the barriers state law set against LGBTQ couples seeking to adopt children, Michigan’s poor water regulations, a lack of diversity in the Michigan State Police, the underfunding of MPSERS and the dropping number of Michigan young people pursuing teaching careers.
Lansing City Pulse — Lansing
August 2015 — November 2015
- Covered local government, city revitalization projects and social issues throughout the Lansing area after moving to freelance after completing a summer internship.
Great Lakes Echo — East Lansing
May 2015 — August 2015
- Working as a staff writer, I covered environmental issues throughout the Great Lakes region, including eight states and the province of Ontario.
- Created web-based content and used graphics, video and images to enhance my stories.
- My works here spanned topics like nuclear energy, Great Lake drowning rates, fisheries and the ecological impacts of river obstructions.
Lansing City Pulse — East Lansing
May 2015 — August 2015
- Covered soft and hard news stories, arts and entertainment and city events for both print and online.
- Occasionally helped in editing and proofreading, tailoring stories for website versions, took photographs for both my stories and other features
- Reported on a high-profile court case — Michigan State University v. ESPN — Capitol events and an MSU building development that caused a clash with nearby homeowners.
MORE ABOUT ME
- Proficient with Microsoft Office programs, Adobe Photoshop and InDesign. Experienced in using online tools like NewsEdit Pro, Blox, WordPress and social media platforms
- Working knowledge with Dreamweaver, Lightroom, Illustrator and other Adobe programs
- Having nearly two years of experience in a daily newspaper environment and several in nontraditional newsrooms, I can meet deadlines, pull stories together on short notice and work well under pressure. I bring determination to my work, and strive to be self-sufficient and reliable.
- I have a varied portfolio covering everything from breaking news, crime, environmental issues, municipalities and state government to education, features and columns.
- I have several years of study in Spanish, written and spoken